Friday, August 5, 2011

Chocolate Berry Tart for my second Blog Anniversary


Exactly two years today I started my blog, Berry Lovely. I have made a lot of cakes, tried many different doughs, learned new techniques, and gained a lot of pounds. I started my blog to take more food photographs, but it gave me a lot more.

During this time I have discovered a thriving community of food bloggers and food photography enthusiasts. I learned a lot from these people and their presence, on-line or off-line, have been some the most enjoyable aspects of this blog. I thank you all for your support, and I hope to get more interesting and exciting recipes and photos for you in the time to come.


To celebrate my second Berry Lovely anniversary I made a berry tart, of course. It is a chocolate tart with a ganache filling topped with all my favorite berries. The recipe is from one of my favorite German pâtissiers Bernd Siefert. I didn't have the chance to visit his cafe yet, but I have tried many of his recipes. They are all really special and very good.


Chocolate Berry Tart
(adapted from Bernd Siefert)


shortcrust:
240 g flour
a pinch of salt
20 g cocoa powder
30 g ground almonds
30 g sugar
60 g powdered sugar
150 g cold butter, cut in small cubes
1 egg

chocolate ganache:
300 g dark chocolate
350 g heavy cream
1-2 tbsp. grand marnier (orange liqueur)
35 g butter, at room temperature

berry topping:
400 g mixed berries (strawberries, raspberries, currants, blueberries, blackberries)
100 g red currant jelly
grated chocolate to decorate


For the shortcrust place the flour, salt, cocoa, almonds, sugars in a food processor and give them a few pulses. Then add the butter and egg and pulse a few times until the dough comes together. Wrap in plastic foil and cool in the fridge for at least an hour.

Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F).

On a floured surface roll out the dough to fit a 26 cm Ø (10-inch) tart form with a removable bottom. Grease the tart form and lay the dough in the form. (You can keep any leftover dough in the fridge for about one week, it makes great cookies.) With a fork prick the dough all over.

To blind-bake the tart lay a piece of parchment paper on the dough and fill the form with pie weights or dried lentils or peas. Bake the crust for about 25 minutes and remove the weights and paper. Let cool on a wire rack.

To make the chocolate ganache filling first chop the chocolate and put in a bowl. Now using a saucepan cook the cream until boiling. Add the grand marnier, and pour over the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted. Then whisk in the butter.

Pour the ganache into the cooled crust and put in the fridge for at least 2 hours.

Clean the berries (raspberries and blackberries do not need to be washed). Cut big berries in half. Warm up the jelly until smooth and shortly toss the berries inside. Arrange the berries on top of the tart, and decorate with some grated chocolate.


Enjoy and Guten Appetit!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...